WAIT-LIST: Volunteer Paddle Team Orientation: Part 1
Thursday April 13, 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Join our paddle team! Each year the Columbia Slough Watershed Council hosts dozens of educational paddling events that expose adults and children to the wonders of the Columbia Slough. We’re seeking paddlers who would like to volunteer to assist with our Evening Canoe paddles, Slough School kids’ paddles and our summer festivals - no experience necessary!
As a member of the Paddle Team you will be contributing to a growing program that strives to engage communities in Fairview, Gresham and Portland to learn about, enjoy, and assist with restoration efforts of their local watershed and natural areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist staff members with canoe and kayak-based education and recreation activities
- Lead and support volunteers in the paddling area at events
- Facilitate safe, inclusive on-water activities with kids and adults
- Assist monthly enrichment trainings
- Perform routine maintenance on boats and paddling equipment
- Paddle skill building practice and experience
- Increased knowledge of our local natural areas, plants, and wildlife
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Help address the lack of racial diversity in environmental conservation and outdoor sports recreation
- Help raise profile of watershed restoration and protection efforts
- Community connection building opportunities
- Opportunities to connect with local officials and experts
- Be a part of enhancing the Columbia Slough Watershed
- Discounts to Next Adventure rentals and classes, including beginner to advanced on the water trainings
Scheduling is flexible. Volunteers are expected to commit to a minimum of 5 programs over the paddle season (May through September) with the option to continue with Fall programming.
Orientation Part 1 will focus on the logistical aspects of this volunteer team. Orientation Part 2 (Saturday) will include on-water skill and team building opportunities with the Council and Next Adventure. Volunteers must attend each session.
Team Description and Application:
For a full position description and application visit our Volunteer Opportunities page. Applications must be submitted by Monday, April 10th, 2017.